"Cuts" Improvisation with Christoph Baumann
On every cut, you have always the three possibilities:
1 I continue with the same thing
2 I play something new, something different.
3 I don’t play (Tacet)
4 Cuts will be given from a conductor, or can also be given from band members. (Also acoustic and optic signs from elsewhere can lead the process in the same manner.)
5 Between two cuts, you should not change the musical subject but a parametric development of the used material is possible.
6 You also should not enter or leave in between two cuts.
7 Every reaction has to be placed precise on the cut.
- Network of ideas: Development and integration of own material or material proposed by the other players can be used.
- Play with contrast: if you change your material, it could be also a contrast to what you played before or to what is played by the group before
- But you can also refer to things you played before.
- Memory: The memorising signe of the conductor means that you have to memorize what you are playing right in this moment.
- If the cue (memory 1/2/3....) comes again, you play the same again what is related to this memory.
- More than one Memory signs are possible
- what Key
- Minor, Major
- Up or down-movement in halftone or whole tone Steps